Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Step One

I'm two weeks away from moving out of my 1300 ft2 house and into a 700 ft2 condo. This is the first major step in reducing my possessions and simplifying life. Losing 600 ft2 of habitable space, a garage, a workshop, and a storage shed forces me to make difficult decisions about my belongings. Only a small subset of what I own will survive the move.

A storage unit is not an option, as I don't have any sentimental attachment to my stuff. Moreover, storage units cost money. Who wants to allocate a portion of his disposable income to house useless crap?

To prepare for my move, I've established a simple filter for my possessions: if I can't transport the item myself up to my third floor condo, it will be sold or donated. This includes my bed, futon, sofa, recliner, desk, tables, fish tanks, and a 27" TV. In essence, I'm starting over.

Anything purchased from this point forward must improve my quality of life. Otherwise, it will remain in my online shopping cart. This simple test will help me from accumulating 3 vacuums, 5 bicycles, and 4 computers.

Stay tuned for progress reports.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home